From the dean >
New arrivals >
Calling all entrepreneurs >
Kurish takes on dual role >
Recent retirements >
Faculty promotions >
EMBA changes >
Doctoral achievements >
PhD investment >
In the news >
Celebrating the Class of 2009 >

Ninety years of    
breaking new ground

Goizueta through    
the decades

Award winners selected
Executives discuss changes    
in business
Future of business education    

Alumni news
Class notes >
Commitment to diversity >
Top 100 under 50 >
Alumnus remembered >
The value of philanthropy >
Alumni highlight     
communication skills
Goizueta and NYSE >

Campaign letter >
Building on strengths    
and giving back
Making a difference: Bequests >
Seed money:    
Value that grows

Archived issues >


Goizueta through the decades

On February 18, 1919, the dean of Emory College, Howard Odum, recommended the creation of a “school of economics and business administration” to the Board of Trustees. The new school, in conjunction with the College, offered courses in economics, accounting, and business law. By 1925, there were 145 students.

In 1938, the business school moved to its home in the C.L. Fishburne building. Three women earned degrees from the BBA program.

The school, reduced to one faculty member during WWII, merged with the College. Walter H. Rich, president of the Rich Foundation, donated $250,000 for the construction of a building. In 1949, the school was admitted to the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business.

After a lapse of two decades, the school began accepting female students again in 1954. In the same year, the MBA program commenced, with 19 registered students.

In 1959, the school launched its first Advanced Management Program for executives, which quickly became one of the most respected management programs in the country.

In 1961, the Evening MBA program was introduced. When the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business began accrediting master’s programs, Emory’s program was one of the first to be approved. Four years later, Emory appeared on the list of the top American colleges and universities producing U.S. executives. The school also hosted the Intercollegiate Business Games—computer games whose format mimicked war games developed by the Rand Corporation.

In 1977, the school dedicated a $2 million addition and renovation of the Rich Memorial building, incorporating two important features: the Management Center and the Computer Center. The Executive MBA program was created in 1979, and the school introduced the joint JD/MBA degree.

The school developed the first MDiv/MBA degree in the country. Years of thoughtful and steady expansion improved rankings: In 1986, the Gourman Report ranked the Emory graduate business program 26th in the country, and the Executive MBA program was ranked in the top 15 in a BusinessWeek survey.

In 1994, the school was renamed for Roberto C. Goizueta. A $20 million gift from The Goizueta Family Foundation and another $20 million from the Robert W. Woodruff Foundation in honor of Roberto C. Goizueta ensured years of financial security for the school.

The millennium brought about a new PhD program in business administration and a new program in Real Estate. Goizueta Business School installed its current dean, Professor Larry Benveniste, in 2005.

^ top